Adaptada de la Receta de Gladys Fernandini
1 lb. fresh TURBOT or FLOUNDER fillets
2 tsp. salt – better with andean pink salt-Sal de Maras
LECHE DE TIGRE (Tiger’s Milk)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
2 garlic cloves
1 habanero pepper
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper
1/4 cup of cold shrimp/fish clear broth
a dash of ginger
1 red onion – refrigerated
corn on the cob
Toasted salted corn nuts – “Peruvian cancha”
- Boil the sweet potato. When done cut it in round 1/2 inch slices and let it cool down. Set it aside until ready to serve.
- Boil the corn on the cob and when done, set it aside until ready to serve.
- Rinse and chop the cilantro leaves. Set aside until ready to serve.FOR THE LECHE DE TIGRE
Mix in a Blender and REFRIGERATE until ready to serve:
- The juice from the limes,
- the habanero pepper, including the seeds,
- the jalapeno or serrano pepper,
- ginger and
- the broth
- Cut the fillets in 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch strips. Place in a ceramic container and cover with salt. Add enough water to cover the fish. Stir in the salt water with a wooden spoon. Let the fish sit in this salt water for 15 minutes.
- When the fifteen minutes are up, drain the water off the fish using a strain. Place it back in the ceramic container. Add the LECHE DE TIGRE and the chopped cilantro. Let it sit for 10 more minutes in the LECHE DE TIGRE.
- Peel the refrigerated onion. Slice it in paper thin rounds and lightly rinse it in very cold water so that it stays crunchy.
Sprinkle it with lime juice and chopped and seeded Habanero Pepper.
Place a leaf of lettuce, rinsed in cold water, on the plate. Add slices of the corn on the cob, the sweet potato and salted corn nuts to the plate. Add the fish. Top all with the sliced onions and LECHE DE TIGRE to taste.
NOTE: you may add a sliced red bell pepper or “rocoto” pepper, to decorate the dish, as shown in the photo above.