Receta de Meche
The asado is the cut preferred by
Argentinians cooks for the famous carne mechada (shredded meat).
1 4lb. long, tube shaped
eye of the round (Eye Round Roast). It is sold entero and maybe by the half.
2 to 4 garlic cloves
4 to 6 baby carrots
4 tbsp. olive oil or as needed
3 laurel leaves
salt and pepper
2 cups of water – you can also use 1 cup of beef broth and 1 of water, or you may also add 1 cup of red wine to 1 cup of water.
Preparing the stuffing:
- Crush the garlic cloves.
- Cut in 1/2″ long slices, and slice them thin lengthwise.
- Mix the carrots slices with the crushed garlic and then add salt and pepper to taste.
To cook the asado
- make several holes inthe asado lengthwise with a knife and stuff it with finely the chopped carrots and garlic mix – put on and around the asado. Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil with the laurel leaves, so that the oil acquires the taste of the laurel.
- The meat is first sealed on all sides in the olive oil at high heat until it has acquired a golden look all around.
- Add a the water to cover 2/3 of the roast. Cook it slowly for at least one hour, until tender. Do not cover the pot. Turn the roast a couple of times while it cooks, to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Tastes best if you can use beef broth or red wine with the water. If you want the sauce a little thicker you can add a teaspoon of flour and stir.
- Let it cool down.
Do not cut until ready to serve, so that it preserves the juices. Serve with rice. The broth and be used as a base for tomato sauce (tuco) to pour over pasta.
You can also make it one day in advance, leaving it in the refrigerator in order to serve it cold, with a salad.